1. Go to: www.bmi.com/join
2. Click “I am a Songwriter/Composer.”
3. Follow the steps & enter all information required.
– You will need your Social Security Number and date of birth on hand.
– You MUST use your full legal name to register NOT your artist name. When the form asks for your artist monikers, indicate your name(s) there.
– Remember that the address you include on this form will be the address your paychecks get sent to.
– If you end up reading the entire contract, don’t worry. It looks long and complicated but it’s not! Don’t get concerned with the legal language either. This is a standard contract that all professional songwriters sign at some point in their careers.
4. Once you finish, a few days later, you will receive your official confirmation of membership by email. Within the confirmation email, BMI will give you your own unique songwriter identification number, called a CAE/IPI number